|Wing Span:||70 ft|
|Length:||51 feet 3 inches|
|Length:||18 feet 6 inches|
|Engine:||(2) Pratt & Whitney R-2800-79
9-cylinder radial, 2,000hp
|Empty Weight:||22,850 pounds|
|Gross Weight:||34,927 pounds|
|Range:||3,200 nautical miles|
The Douglas A-26 Invader (B-26 between 1948-1965) was a United States twin-engined light attack bomber built by the Douglas Aircraft Co. during World War II that also saw service during several of the Cold War's major conflicts. A limited number of highly modified aircraft served in combat until 1969. The last A-26 was retired from military service in 1972 by the National Guard Bureau and donated to the National Air and Space Museum.
For more info, see Wikipedia article
|Nov 1944||Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft in Long Beach, CA
Delivered to USAAF as A-26B-30DL 41-39359
Saw service in Europe with the 9th Air Force during the Battle of the Bulge.
Served during the Korean War with the 3rd Bomb Wing, Far East Air Forces, Kunsan AB, Korea.
|unknown||Stored, Davis Monthan AFB, AZ.|
|Nov 1956||Put up for disposal|
|1966-1970||Aero Union Corp, Chico, CA
Registered as N91281.
|1970-1986||Conair Aviation Ltd, Abbotsford, BC,
Registered as CF-BMR
Flew as tanker #21.
|1979||Registered as C-FBMR|
|Jan 1987||Jerry C. Janes, Rockford, IL, Jan. 24, 1987.|
|Nov 1987-1998||Robert J. Pond/Planes Of Fame East, Minneapolis, MN
Registered as N26BP.
Flew as 39386/21.
|1998-2002||Bob Pond/Pond Warbirds LLC/Palm Springs Air Museum, Palm Springs, CA
Flown as 39359/21 "Invader".
|April 2008||Purchased by Rick Sharpe for the Marine Aviation Museum
Currently being prepped for ferry to Houston.
|May 2008||Aircraft ferried to Houston's Hobby Airport for further work. Some plexiglass replaced, repainted blue markings (minus the "21" on tail) and name changed to "Guns for Hire". Returned to air show service.|
39359 has been converted to an A-26C with the installation of a glass nose. It has not been determined when this was done.